Cell phones have become an integral part of everyday lives all over the world. People are very attached to their smartphones, and find it difficult to get through the day without using them. Unfortunately, excessive use of cell phones can lead to a wide variety of health ailments. If you are one of those people who cannot go to sleep at night unless their phone is beside them or on the mattress, it might be time to rethink that decision.
Smartphones emit a radio frequency energy each time they send and receive information from one of the nearby cell towers. These radio frequency energy waves may or may not be dangerous. Since cell phones are a relatively new invention, scientists and medical professionals are not sure about the long-term repercussions caused by them. Unfortunately, long-term use of cell phones has been linked to certain types of cancer in recent years. Some of the other health effects that can be caused by extreme cell phone usage include a brain tumour, low sperm count, headaches, and effects on memory, learning, behaviour, hearing and even sleep. If you find yourself unable to sleep without using your cell phone, try investing in a sleeping pillow from Wakefit.
Tips To Reduce RF Exposure :
Although the studies are not conclusive about the extent of damage caused by excessive cellphone usage, here are a few tips to help you reduce your exposure to radio frequency:
- Keeping your phone away from your body is a good idea. You can achieve this by using Bluetooth headsets, relying on text messages, placing your phone in a purse or backpack rather than your pocket and so on.
- Your cell sends out high levels of radio frequency energy when the service is weak, downloading or uploading large files, you are in a moving vehicle and so on. You can avoid using our cell phones during these situations to lower your exposure to RF.
- Always keep your phone away from your head when you go to sleep at night. If you are unable to do this, you can either switch off the phone or place it in airline mode to reduce RF as much as possible. The health implications of sleeping with the phone are many.
- If you are not on a call, make sure to remove your headset. Even headsets release a tiny amount of RF.
- Although there are plenty of products in the market, that claim to shield you from radiation, they tend to interfere with your phone’s signal and cause it to emit even more RF. So it is better to avoid such products and minimise your cell phone usage.
- Since younger kids are at a higher risk than adults; it is better to reduce cell phone usage around them. Studies have shown that RF has a more significant impact on their little bodies, even though they are not the ones using the cellphones.
- Teenagers and younger children have been observed to suffer from ringing ears, hearing loss and headaches due to regular use of headsets and cellphones on high volumes. They are also exposed to RF unnecessarily. It is a good idea to keep rules on cell phone usage to reduce their exposure to RF.
- Although a bit drastic, an excellent way of reducing RF exposure is to switch your cell phone for a landline. This old-school method might seem a bit archaic, but it is the best choice if you want to keep your loved ones healthy.
Although the current research studies are not conclusive about the effects of cell phone usage while sleeping, it is a good idea to use caution and common senses and start placing your cell phone far away from your head while you sleep, rather than under the pillow.