If you love heading out onto the slopes for some fun, then you may well want to live where the action is. After all, it can be a pain making that long drive to the piste every time you are free to strap your skis on. By the time you get there, you may only have time to turn around and come back!
For many people who really love skiing, the answer is to move home and live in a ski resort or town close to the slopes that they want to ski. Living in a ski-centered place means that you can also enjoy that famous laid-back yet lively ski atmosphere. It is not just for singles either – many modern ski resorts now are great for families to live.
What makes somewhere the ideal spot?
If you are looking at finding a place to call home that allows you to enjoy skiing, then you need to think about what that involves. Not only do you need homes in the area that are nice to live in, but you also require amenities such as businesses, shops and schools. As well as the practical concerns of daily life, you also need to think about the skiing. Naturally, you will want a place that gives easy access to a choice of runs with good snow to enjoy. You also need to think about the type of place in which you desire to live – do you want a quieter, family place or somewhere that is more buzzing?
Top places for ski enthusiasts to live
If you are on the lookout for some of the best places to live as a ski enthusiast, then the below are simply amazing:
- The Canyons, Utah, US – when it comes to fabulous ski properties to live in , Canyons Village at Park City is perhaps number one. It has a great range of homes for all budgets, so you can find the ideal property to move into here.Naturally, the skiing is amazing, with true ski-in/ski-out access to the fantastic local runs on the nearby Wasatch Range. The slopes offer soft snow and a choice of runs to try for all skill levels. This is also a safe and welcoming place to live, with a great sense of community, concerts and a regular farmers market.
- Zinal, Switzerland – this is one of the best places to call home for the abundant snow it sees and the quaint, charming feel it possesses. Gorgeous wooden chalets dot the landscape and would make the ideal base from which to enjoy the local runs. With a relaxed vibe and some great restaurants in the area, Zinal is truly amazing.
- Killington, Vermont, US – this is a North American classic ski spot and provides fabulous all-year-round living. It underwent a $35m refurb in 2014 and is now one of the most luxurious places for ski enthusiasts to live. With a country club vibe, this is ideal for families or skiers who don’t want that hectic party vibe. The skiing here is fabulous, and there is a range of other things to enjoy from local spas to sushi restaurants and stunning properties in Killington Resort.
- Innsbruck, Austria – if you are looking for a fun and lively place to call home while having access to world-class snow, then Innsbruck is a great choice. Home to a vibrant culture and university, it has all the social life you could want along with a good business sector. From local bars to cafés, shops and restaurants, Innsbruck has it all. Naturally, the scenery is stunning, and the slopes close to the town itself are easy to get to and known for their quality.
- Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – truly breathtaking, this place is found in the amazing Dolomites mountain range. There are some well-kept properties to call home and a welcoming local community with which to engage. The skiing is ideal for families and children as it is not too challenging or hard. Naturally, the cafés and restaurants here are amazing, and you can easily access nearby towns for work purposes.
Find that perfect place to ski and call home
If you love to ski either professionally or in your spare time, then it makes perfect sense to find somewhere you can do it from home. The above places on our list are some of the best around for the skiing they offer and the amenities they boast for daily life. Whether as a family or a single person, there are many places that you can set up home that combine skiing with other important factors in your life.